Five reasons why the last week before a marathon is CRAP

Well, this is crap. It’s now less than a week until the Brighton Marathon, the first of I don’t know how many 26.2 milers I’ll be doing to prepare for the Marathon des Sables 2018, and I’m in a right grump. Here’s five reasons why:

I can’t go for a proper run
The weather’s perfect, I feel great and I’m itching for a nice long run. And I CAN’T. The longest outing this week’s schedule (pictured) will allow me is a piddly little 35 minutes tomorrow. I know, I know… I have to rest to allow my legs to recover from the past few months of four or five runs a week, blah, blah. But it’s a drag.

oNE WEEK

I’ve become a weather obsessive

Sure, the weather’s great now, but what about on Sunday? I’m starting to develop an unhealthy obsession with that question, shushing anyone who has the temerity to speak during the weather forecast and checking my phone’s weather app far too often. At the moment, it’s looking unsettled. Damn it.

I don’t know what to wear

Long sleeves or short? Shorts, leggings or both? Hat or headband? Sunglasses and contacts or my usual specs? I don’t care what I look like (whatever I’m wearing, I look a bit daft when I’m running), but I do care whether I’m comfortable or not. I’ve now been through more outfits than a teenager on prom night. I still don’t have a clue.

I’m not sure what to eat
‘Are you eating lots of pasta?’ That’s what everyone keeps asking me, and it’s pissing me off. I don’t do carbs because it helps me manage my type one diabetes better. Being low carb has seen me through training fine but with all the talk of carb loading and ‘the wall’ I’m starting to question if it can see me through 26.2 miles. Any tips, anyone?

I can’t drink beer
Rest day usually means beer night. Not this week. Not much running and zero beer makes for a very grumpy me. Particularly when my final cold one before my week’s abstinence on Sunday was interrupted by Sprog the Younger, who managed to score a direct hit by projectile vomiting in my beer (pictured). Grrr.

IMG_3832

Sunday can’t come soon enough.

Advertisements

One thought on “Five reasons why the last week before a marathon is CRAP

1. April 12, 2016 at 9:51 pm

I cannot carb load either. I had a side salad and a cheeseburger (no bun) the night before the race. Race day, i had Bulletproof coffee and plain greek yogurt with stevia. I have been experimenting with UCAN superstarch. Worked like a charm for the race. It is supposed to not result in an insulin response. I did not drink Gatorade on the course either. I use SOS rehydrate. Small packets I can use in my 10 oz Nathan flask.

Liked by 1 person

• April 12, 2016 at 9:56 pm

Hey! Thanks for reading and commenting. Will look up UCAN. Am planning on having surf & turf with salad (my favourite; any excuse) the night before but am not sure about breakfast. Usually have Greek yoghurt so might go with that.

2. April 12, 2016 at 10:10 pm

What you’ve described is full-on taper-induced crazies. Everything you’ve said. Everything you’ve done. It’s all really quite normal. Predictable even. And it doesn’t get any better with experience. Sorry to say.

It’s all part of being a runner. So welcome to the club!!!! 😃

Liked by 1 person

3. April 13, 2016 at 7:08 am

You’ll really have earned that beer on Sunday evening! Good luck with the race 😊

Liked by 1 person

4. April 13, 2016 at 2:50 pm

I’ve resigned myself to it raining in Oct for dublin marathon as I know it’s rained in that day for the past 6 years (It’s my wedding anniversary that day).
    This time next week you can bath in beer if you want. Go to ikea and find something to build to keep you busy!

Liked by 1 person

• April 13, 2016 at 3:50 pm

Thanks! Good luck for October! A bath in beer? Now there’s an idea…

5. April 24, 2016 at 11:42 pm

Agree with two comments above. 1) these are taper crazies and they are totally normal which is moot now that you’ve accomplished your marathon (congrats!) and 2) I use UCAN on my long runs, and it’s great. I had one packet of UCAN and 1 gel for an entire 20 mile training run. Definitely look into it!

Liked by 1 person