Four weeks to go: Help! I’m slowing down!

Four weeksIt’s official: I’m slowing down, not speeding up. I managed only 18 miles in my three hour run on Sunday. Last time I ran that duration, I did more than 19, and that was in a gale. I know, I know… I’ve said speed isn’t the aim here, but it’s still pissed me off. I feel as fit as a fiddle, yet doing the marathon in four hours now seems about as likely as me sprouting wings and flying the 26.2 miles. Thankfully there are no long runs this week (pictured), so my legs (and pride) will have a chance to recover, while I’m trying to work out why I’m getting slower…

Advertisements

One thought on “Four weeks to go: Help! I’m slowing down!

1. March 16, 2016 at 9:49 pm

Don’t worry about it. Honestly 😃

Anything can influence how fast we run in a given day. Overall you’re stronger which means overall you’re a better runner.

I know it’s frustrating when you don’t see the results you know you’ve earned. Believe me. But also believe in your training and believe in yourself.

The results will come. Better to see them on race day than in training anyway 😃

• March 16, 2016 at 10:37 pm

Thanks mate! I suppose it stands to reason that average pace will drop of off as you increase training intensity. What you said last week about tapering makes perfect sense too. Cheers!

2. March 20, 2016 at 11:26 am

The last three years I find I am so tired by my peak weeks (3 to 4 weeks out) that I am sooooo looking forward to tapering. My last 20 miler was my slowest of the 4 for this training cycle. I did it on really tired legs. Use the next few weeks to rest, get in quality runs, and your legs will be ready.

• March 20, 2016 at 11:29 am

Thanks for the tip! Yeah, I’m starting to think the slowdown is a result of the accumulation of all the miles. Have decided to try and not obsess too much about speed. Looking forward to tapering!

3. Michael Savage
    March 31, 2016 at 8:50 am

How is your blood sugar levels, diet, electrolytes, and other essential levels in your blood work?

I’m with dtripso3 on her experience as its consistent with mine. I went into tapper faster and accelerated a change in my training program to change it up and shock the muscles/body. Less stress to body like bike, swimming, rowing machines, etc… change it up! Mental and physical.

Focused on rebuilding, eating right, feeding the machine to fatten up a bit, and quality runs not miles now…

You’ve put the hard work and time in, everyone is different and it’s always a guide, subjective to your personal experiences & results. You be ready, refreshed, stronger and more comfortable as you blow through this and wonder why you were worried!

Let the wind carry you step for step, and your training to the finish line!

• March 31, 2016 at 9:11 am

Thanks Michael! You’re right; I’ve learned to stop obsessing about pace and focus on enjoying myself on my runs. By following a low carb diet I’m able to keep pretty good control of my blood sugar (though there’s always room for improvement), even on long runs. My only concern is hitting the dreaded wall as a result of diminished glycogen levels. Will find out if that’s a legitimate concern on 17 April. Will keep you posted! Thanks for reading!